are based on equality and respect:
- There is trust.
- There is support.
- There is communication.
- There is happiness.
are based on attempts to control the other person:
- There is dishonesty.
- There are struggles for control.
- There are breaks in communication.
- There is inconsiderate behaviour
are based on an imbalance of power and control:
- There is manipulation.
- There is physical fighting.
- There is yelling.
- 1 person makes all the decisions.
How healthy is my relationship?
- Does this relationship make me feel good about myself? Yes No
- Are we friends? Yes No
- Do we have fun together? Yes No
- Do we both have other friends and interests? Yes No
- Are we honest with each other? Yes No
- Are we comfortable talking about most things, including sex? Yes No
- Do we respect each other’s ideas, values, and points of view? Yes No
- Is this a relationship between equal partners where neither person is “the boss”? Yes No
- Do we trust each other whenever we spend time apart? Yes No
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, your relationship could be considered unhealthy or abusive. It might be helpful to talk with someone.
In a healthy relationship, people feel good about themselves!